The OPI Business Excellence Model exists to help organizations improve their performance and succeed in the competitive global marketplace. We are dedicated to improving African organizations regardless of sector, size or structure. The OPI was developed in response to feedback from organization participating in Company of the Year Award (COYA) and SME of the Year Award (SMOYA), who called on the Kenya Institute of Management (KIM) to refine the assessment methodology in order to emphasize the relationship between instilling smart business processes and generating strong business results.
Whilst there are numerous management tools and techniques commonly used, the OPI Excellence Model is a practical, non-prescriptive framework which provides a holistic view of the organisation and it can be used to determine how these different methods fit together and complement each other. The Model can therefore be used in conjunction with any number of these tools, based on the needs and function of the organisation, as an overarching framework for developing sustainable excellence.
We also administer the Annual Company of the Year Awards (COYA) and the SME of the Year Awards (SMOYA). Our key services are to identify and recognize role-model organizations, share best management practices, and help organizations achieve best-in-class performance levels.
What is OPI?
The OPI is an excellence model that generates a rating between 1 and 10, which sets a minimum score that an organisation must attain to remain competitive. The attainment of a minimum Organisation Performance Index ( OPI) demonstrates that organisations have applied an organisational strategy that drives effectiveness and competitiveness; failure to attain the minimum OPI demonstrates the organisation has not engaged the processes required to enable world class organisational performance.
- Enable leadership teams to drive continuous improvement within their organisations and sharpen their competitive edge.
- Play a leading role in empowering organisations to compete globally and influence the development of the sectors and industries in which they operate.
- Act as an industry gold standard and benchmark.
- Provide for participants to share proven best Practices in management and productivity.
Benefits of OPI
- Allow you to analyze your productivity rigorously
- Reveal the true performance of your organization
- Position leadership teams to drive continuous improvement
- Empower you to develop world class processes and innovation capability to sharpen your competitive edge at global level
- Enable you to benchmark your performance with industry peers and against international standards
- Provide a forum for participants to share proven best practices
- Equip your organization with the tools and insight to influence the development of telecommunication sector
- Define your competitiveness with one integrated score
CORE CONCEPTS OF EXCELLENCE
These are widely recognized embedded beliefs and behaviors found in high performing organizations - They are the underlying principles for any organization to achieve sustainable excellence. The OPI model is used to assess how well the core values and concepts are integrated into an organizations systems and processes.
1. Leading with Vision, Inspiration & Integrity
Excellent organisations have leaders who shape the future and make it happen, acting as role models for its values and ethics. They Set and communicate clear direction, Understand the key business drivers and are flexible, promote new ideas, champion organizational values
2. Managing Processes and Facts
Excellent organizations are managed through structured and strategically aligned processes using fact based decision making to create balanced and sustained results
Excellent organizations generate increased value and levels of performance through continual and systematic innovation by harnessing the creativity of their stakeholders
4. Partnership development
Excellent organisations seek, develop and maintain trusting relationships with various partners to ensure mutual success. They recognize that, in the increasingly demanding world of today, success may depend on the effective partnerships they develop
5. Results Orientation
Excellent organizations meet their mission and progress towards their Vision through planning and achieving a balanced set of results that meet both the short and long term needs of their stakeholders and, where relevant, exceed them.
6. People development
Excellent organizations value their people and create a culture of empowerment for the balanced achievement of organizational and personal goals
7. Corporate Citizenship
Excellent Organizations embed within their culture an ethical mindset, clear values and the highest standards for organizational behavior, all of which enable them to strive for economic, social and ecological sustainability
8. Customer centrism
Excellent organisations know that customers are their primary reason for being and strive to innovate and create value for them by understanding their needs and expectations
The OPI Registration process
1. Participating organisations create a team of OPI Champions within their organization composed who will spearhead the implementation of the OPI business excellence model.
2. OPI Champions complete a comprehensive three day Business Excellence training on OPI implementation.
3. The participating organisation conducts a rigorous self-assessment based on clear criteria and backed up by a comprehensive supporting documentation.
4. A technical team of qualified OPI assessors from K.I.M conducts a desk analysis to evaluate the self-assessment and supporting documentation submitted by the participating organization.
5. The OPI assessors then conduct a site visit to assess how effectively the strategies and processes outlined in the self-assessment are being deployed in practice on the ground.
6. The assessors consolidate their analysis and assessment from the site visit into an advisory report, which is submitted to a board of OPI Technical committee for validation.
7. The OPI technical committee validates the advisory reports to the participating organisation, and also assigns the OPI rating (Score between 1 and 10) Winners of COYA & SMOYA are determined based on their OPI scores.